British Muslims identify hydration as number one health concern during Ramadan
Last weekend the UK’s 2.7 million Muslims celebrated the start of Ramadan, the month of fasting. Those who are fasting must not eat or drink between dawn and dusk, which this summer could be as many as 20 hours every day in the UK. Observing the fast is a vital part of Muslim faith, however, it can be challenging, especially during the long summer days. A survey of British Muslims conducted by Clinova found:
• 49% identified hydration as their main health concern during Ramadan
• 81% had issues with hydration whilst fasting
• Lack of concentration, which may be caused by not being at optimum hydration levels is a worry for 39%
The survey highlighted that while understanding of the importance of hydration during Ramadan is high, many British Muslims underestimate how much they need to drink every day and 57% find it difficult to drink enough to remain adequately hydrated during the non-fasting night hours. Muslim organisations are also warning those fasting to take precautions. The Muslim Council of Britain which is the UK’s largest Muslim organisation has this year issued guidelines advising how to stay healthy and hydrated during Ramadan. Traditionally the fast is broken by eating dates and the survey showed that 85% of people also use water to rehydrate during non-fasting hours, however pharmacist Adil Naeem, explains that: “Hydration during Ramadan is a concern for Muslims and it is important to keep hydrated. When someone’s optimum hydration levels are not maintained, such as after fasting, water alone is not always the best way to hydrate. This is because optimum hydration involves electrolytes and salts, and our bodies need to replenish these to absorb water effectively, therefore it is best to hydrate with water that is mixed with oral rehydration salts that contain glucose, sodium and electrolytes.” Oral rehydration salts are a scientifically balanced formula of rehydration electrolytes, glucose & minerals that are designed to aid the optimum absorption of water. O.R.S Hydration Tablets from Clinova are a convenient soluble tablet form of the oral rehydration salts formula that come in three great tasting flavours; lemon, blackcurrant and strawberry. Top tips to help with hydration during Ramadan:
1. Try to stay hydrated: Make sure you hydrate properly when you break the fast – it is recommended that you drink eight glasses of water a day, if you require additional hydration, then combine water with oral rehydration salts such as O.R.S Hydration Tablets.
2. Watch your diet: Try to eat foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables, which are rich in fibre and contain a lot of liquid, which will help to rehydrate you.
3. Try to keep cool: Taking cold showers, staying out of the sun and wearing loose clothes can help you stay cool throughout the summer.
4. Find the right time to work out: Exercise can quickly affect your hydration levels, so choose a time to exercise that will minimise this, such as 2 hrs after Iftar, and try to maintain your hydration levels.
5. Take care of yourself and others: Fasting can be challenging, especially during the long summer days, if you have an existing medical condition, then you should consult with a medical professional if you wish to fast. There are exemptions to fasting for the medically infirm, pregnant and breastfeeding women and travellers.
O.R.S Hydration Tablets are available in 22 countries, and set to be available in 58 countries by the end of 2015. O.R.S Hydration Tablets can be found in over 7000 retailers in the UK including Tesco, Boots, Asda, Morrisons, Lloyds Pharmacy and Day Lewis Pharmacy. For more information on O.R.S® including details on why the formula is so effective in maintaining an optimum fluid balance go to: www.ors.uk.com
Clinova is a fast growing UK based, global consumer healthcare group. Clinova has gone through extensive research and development to produce and market a range of successful consumer healthcare and medical products. Based in Southampton, Clinova is continuing to develop new products and open up new markets with the aim of making the world a healthier place.
Bruce Carlin, National Sales Executive
Tel: +44 (0) 845 652 5063